Sunday, July 5, 2009

Breaking into a new topic - writing

Researching your market is important. Look at my fashion writing. In the sixteen years I have been a veteran writer, just this year (2009), I have started writing about fashion. This has been a dream of mine to do, but never did. How did I break into writing fashion? I started looking for freelance fashion writing jobs. I was hired by the examiner.com as a plus-size examiner in the later part of May (2009) and now I have been contacted by fashion designers, fashion stores and others from NH to CA. I started a fashion blog in the early part of June (2009) and now I have well over 100 hits a day and Orble.com (where I have my blog) contacted me and gave me a domain name for free.
How do I know how to fashion write? I studied fashion sites, fashion magazines, I love clothes anyways, I started to study designers and try and keep up on the latest trends and fashions. All writing is - knowing what you are writing about. That is always the key. General knowledge of a subject will only take you so far then you will fail.
In writing, you always have to read what others wrote, keep up on the do's and do not's, read, read, read and write, write, write. It is no different when writing any topic. To stay focused and on topic you need to keep your research current or you will lose your readership and who you write for will lose you.

With that said, I am off to write another article for the examiner, three sample articles for a blog I might get hired for and to blog on my fashion blog (http://www.totalfashion.net).

Remember to read, write and be merry.

No comments:

Post a Comment